Job Posting: Fire Protection Technologist
CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
We have an exciting Full Time Unionized opportunity in the Vaughan Fire and Rescue Services for an experienced and motivated individual
Fire Protection Technologist
(JOB # J0117-0401)
As one of Southern Ontario’s fastest growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Vaughan is considered one of Canada’s most family friendly cities with a dynamic and diverse population of over 300,000. With one of the top performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
Responsible for reviewing plans submitted for compliance to relevant Codes and By-Laws, especially dealing with fire protection and fire safety system(s) design, installation, and operation, and to inspect such installations for compliance during construction, upon acceptance and re-inspection, as required. Performing field inspections of new buildings and fire protection installations to ensure compliance with the approved plans, the Fire Code, Building Code, related regulation, and other applicable laws, as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Post Secondary Diploma/Degree in Building Construction, Architecture, Engineering, or Fire Protection, or equivalent combination of education and experience in Fire Protection
- Registered professional Engineer with experience in Fire and Fire Protection systems an asset
- Successful completion of the examination program administered or authorized by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing as an Inspector under the Category of Fire Protection (General Legal/Process 2012 and Fire Protection 2012 required), in accordance with O. Reg. 332/12, relating to the person’s knowledge of the Building Code Act and the Ontario Building Code.
- BCIN number required.
- Progressive experience in areas of major job responsibilities
- Ability to interpret design drawings and specifications for buildings, and their component parts
- Working knowledge of applicable Codes and Regulations and technical aspects of fire alarm systems, fire detection systems, sprinkler systems, fire/booster pumps, suction and gravity tanks, standpipes, underground water supply piping, and special hazard systems for processes that can include those previously listed as well as control/extinguishing systems using clean agents, C02, dry chemical, foam/water solutions and combinations of systems integrated to provide life safety and/or fire control or extinguishment, such as smoke evacuation systems in high-rise buildings with standpipes, fire pumps, and sprinkler systems, or explosion or fire suppression in material handling or air-moving systems such as dust collection systems or chemical vapour removal systems, and specific fire protection measures as may be set out in the Ontario Building Code and Ontario Fire Code for various industries.
- Excellent analytical, report writing and verbal communication skills, along with the ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public and staff.
- Computer literacy in a Windows environment utilizing word processing, spreadsheet, database and computer aided design software systems. Working knowledge of AMANDA database information system considered an asset.
- Must possess a valid G Class driver’s licence in good standing. Working knowledge of NFPA standards. Preference will be given to candidates with a broad range of qualifications.
The City of Vaughan has an employee-focused culture with an emphasis on health and wellness, work-life balance, and family benefits.
If you are an energetic person who is interested in bringing your knowledge and passion to the City of Vaughan, please click here to apply online by Tuesday, February 21, 2017.
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Applicant information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 (S.O. 2001,c.25) and will be used to determine qualifications for employment with The Corporation of the City of Vaughan. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer, 2141 Major Mackenzie Drive, Vaughan, ON, L6A 1T1, (905) 832-8585.