Canadian Fire Alarm Association
Senior Manager, Education
The Canadian Fire Alarm Association (CFAA) is a not-for-profit organization that serves Canada from coast-to-coast as the definitive resource for fire alarm information, education, qualifications, expertise, and industry support with nine active Chapters throughout Canada. Through the creation and delivery of country-wide programs, the mission of the CFAA is to maximize the effectiveness and use of fire alarm systems in the protection of life and property in Canada. Led by a volunteer Board of Directors and supported by staff in the Head Office, the CFAA has been providing these services for almost 50 years.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the CFAA has an immediate opening for a Senior Manager, Education to join the team in providing technical leadership to manage CFAA’s Fire Alarm Technology program, and other training and development for Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ), Building Owners/Operators, etc. This position was created to meet the needs of the Association as we grow across the country. The successful applicant will be responsible for the development and maintenance of the technical content of all CFAA fire alarm courses, continuing education seminars and other specialized training offerings via virtual training platforms and in-person events across the country. Possession of a CFAA Technician Registration is required as the person in this position will be responsible for some instruction of the program and a strong background in the Fire Alarm Industry along with relevant Codes and Standards experience is also essential. The ideal candidate will be experienced with Microsoft Office, virtual meeting and training platforms (such as Zoom Pro, Teams, etc.) and have experience in developing and delivering educational programs to adults. Preference is for this position is to be based in our Markham, Ontario head office location, with some flexibility for remote work.
Duties & Responsibilities:
▪ Coordinate and supervise the educational activities of the CFAA as set forth and defined by the Education Committee and the National Board of Directors
▪ Identify trends and needs for education and training and supervise the review and updating of the CFAA Fire Alarm Technician Program course content
▪ Develop and/or manage all new course content and delivery (virtually and in-person) of CFAA’s Fire Alarm Technology & Continuing Education (CE) program across Canada
▪ Develop and nurture relationships with, and support, the Education Partners across Canada who deliver CFAA training
▪ Support CFAA Chapters in the delivery of Training Programs and Technical Seminars
▪ Develop and/or gather technical input on regulations, codes, standards, etc. to technicians, members, AHJs, building owner/operators and other fire alarm industry stakeholders
▪ Deliver CFAA Training Programs across Canada as required, approx. 10% travel.
▪ Assist Executive Director in the growth and expansion of education and training programs throughout the Canada
▪ Attend and provide technical staff support for Board, Chapter and Committee meetings as required, particularly the Education and Technician Committees
▪ Represent CFAA as required at trade and industry events throughout Canada as required
▪ Participate in the budget review and preparation process for the Education Program
▪ Assist with other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
▪ A CFAA Technician Registration with at least 5 years of field experience testing, inspecting and servicing Fire Alarm Systems
▪ Experience in developing or leading adult education preferably in fire alarm technology or other related trades field is an asset
▪ Experience in managing corporate or college/university education and training programs is an asset
▪ Knowledge of national and provincial building and fire codes and technical standards as they relate to the verification, installation, inspection, testing and maintenance of fire alarm systems is preferred
▪ A Diploma or Degree in Engineering or Fire Protection or an equivalent combination of education and experience would be considered an asset
▪ Proficiency with Microsoft office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel,), HTML and virtual meeting and training platforms is required
▪ Fluency both written and spoken in English is required, competency in French is an asset
The Canadian Fire Alarm Association offers a positive work environment, a competitive salary commensurate with experience along with eligibility for Group Benefits and RRSP matching for the right candidate. The successful candidate must have the ability to travel occasionally and work remotely to support the activities of the Association. Interested candidates are requested to send an expression of interest along with their resumé no later than May 15, 2021, attention to Ms. Suzanne Alfano, Executive Director at the address below or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position title in the subject of your email. The Canadian Fire Alarm Association is an equal opportunity employer and supports diversity in the workplace and encourages people of all backgrounds as well as the disabled to apply for this position. To help ensure that our diversity commitment is met, CFAA is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please state in your cover letter what accommodation you are seeking, and we will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process. We thank all of those interested in applying, though only those chosen to proceed in our candidate search will be contacted.